Friday, December 29, 2017

Featured Weekly: Naptime

12/28/17

  It was 2pm and I was leaving my very last event as a massage therapist in 2017. I was headed up from Hyannis, MA to Portland, ME to visit my brother-from-another-mother Porta Potty Scotty. I was also planned on treating Vapor to a full synthetic oil change. She was in need of fresh fluids and I was driving by several Walmart Supercenter locations on the way up to Portland. I stopped in Seabrook, NH right off of I95 and pulled into the auto center at Walmart. "Full synthetic oil change will be a 90 minute wait, sir." said Christopher, the service tech. I nodded and told him I would be taking a nap in the car. He nodded, barely taking account of what I said. I handed him the keys and walked out to my car. Tucking into my arctic sleeping bag I wrapped myself up in my comforter, covering my head and my eyes I slip into a state of relaxation. 'Knock, knock,' I shed my comforter and look up to see a tech standing by my door. I flash him a big smile, swivel out of my bed, into my drivers seat and into my shoes. I open the door and stand up, greeting the spectacled tech."Hey man, just needed a nap. She's all yours!" He responds,"That's fine, I don't judge." The man obviously felt uncomfortable after seeing me sleeping in Vapor, my converted Honda Fit camper. I responded to his nervous statement, "no apology necessary, no reason to judge anyways. I chose this lifestyle and I enjoy it very much!" Hearing me "normalize" my decision to live in my car seemed to placate his dis-ease. The best part - the oil change only took 45 minutes and Vapor and I were back on the open road! 

Greetings from South Portland, Maine
Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, stories and rants. Let's collaborate!!

A Jarring Stop ( Featured Weekly )

 I was making good/steady progress, with almost 10 hours spent behind the wheel, it was 9:30pm and I was crossing the border from Maryland ...